I've been contemplating what verses to memorize this month and was considering a few verses from Isaiah 53. To understand this passage in context, I decided to look back a few verses to the end of Isaiah 52. Wow. I don't think I could find a more appropriate scripture to memorize as I prepare for Easter and the sacrifice that Jesus made for me on the cross. Isaiah 52:13-15 is titled The Suffering and Glory of the Servant. While this title is not divinely inspired (like the rest of the Bible) it perfectly suits the verses that follow. Here is what they say:
"See, my servant will act wisely; he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted. Just as there were many who were appalled at him—his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness— so will he sprinkle many nations, and kings will shut their mouths because of him. For what they were not told, they will see, and what they have not heard, they will understand."
For the past few years I have watched Mel Gibson's film, The Passion of the Christ during the week leading up to Easter. I love this film, and I hate watching it. The violence depicted, the raw evil that is shown, the horrifying graphic images -- all make me want to cover my eyes. As the scripture says, "his appearance was so disfigured... his form marred" -- it's hard to see what it might have really been like. And to know that it is my sin that put Him there is overwhelming to me.
As I meditate on this passage, I get so emotional to think about Jesus' pain and suffering to the point where he was "disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness". I doubt I will ever know what it's like to suffer physically to that extent.
But the reason why I am drawn to this scripture is because it's not just a description of His suffering. It's also a promise of joy and victory! Because in the end, Jesus will be "raised and lifted up and highly exalted... He will sprinkle [startle] many nations, and kings will shut their mouths because of Him... they will see... and they will understand."
I want to contemplate, really meditate on Jesus' suffering and sacrifice for me. And that leads me to greater awe and praise as I rejoice in His promise: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' " Romans 14:11
The following video is just a small representation of The Passion of the Christ. I am going to watch the entire movie again this Easter season. How about you? Reflect on how Jesus suffered for you. And rejoice in the hope that is shown at the end of the movie (although not this video) -- the 3rd day!
1 comment:
Maria,
I have always wanted to watch this movie... but I never have. I get SO emotional when I just think about it.. and have never gotten up the nerve to watch it. Perhaps I should this Easter Season? I could not even bring myself to even watch the entire clip you posted... why is that?? Just thinking about what Jesus went through brings me to tears... but to see it portrayed is very, very difficult for me. I will let you know if I watch it! Hope all is well with you and your family. Have a Blessed Easter!
Love,
Jackie
Post a Comment