
Usually I lay the baby Jesus figures on the dining room table and the girls take them from there to the appropriate mangers (followed by Eric with the video camera, of course!) However, last year Avery decided that the figures should be hidden so that she and Ella could hunt for them. At first this sounded a little sacriligious to me, but then I thought, "why not?" and so our new tradition includes a hunt for the figures. Hmmm...that strangely mirrors the egg hunt that we do at Easter...
The reason that I love this tradition is that it focuses my children on why we are celebrating Christmas. There hasn't been a year where they run to see what's under the tree first. They have always delighted in placing baby Jesus in His manger before we turn towards the presents. I hope this means that they're beginning to understand that He is the greatest gift that we will ever receive.
"The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23
1 comment:
I absolutely love this idea, Maria! I also try so hard for my children to understand the real reason behind Christmas.... but in this world we live in, it is not always easy. We always bake a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Eve day and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus on Christmas! I hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year filled with joy!
Post a Comment