Friday, February 20, 2009

ELLA ENCOURAGER

Well, Ella is not "enchanted" like that fun movie that we like so much. But she is definitely an encourager. Yesterday, as I spent my birthday caring for Avery, Ella was very concerned that it might not be turning into such a great day for me. She asked if she could call Eric at work and I heard her asking him what he had planned for me when he got home. She wanted to make sure I had presents and something special to look forward to. Shortly after that, she headed down to the "crafties area" to work on a couple of projects.

I received a birthday crown with the title "40 is a Blessing" and a "Map Card". The Map Card is an Ella-original -- a card that gives instructions on each page about where to turn next to see the message/picture (e.g. "pick up flap", "turn card after reading"). A Map Card gives directions -- just like a map! When I thanked Ella for making me feel so special, her response was, "It's your birthday. You deserve it!"
Last night, just before bed, I checked our voice mail. There was a message from my mother-in-law, Susan. Susan volunteers at a nursing home and she took Ella there with her yesterday morning. Eric's grandpa is a resident there and this is what Susan had called to tell me:
"Ella spent so much time with Grandpa while we were there. She worked hard to help him make the craft (a yarn snowman) and he got such a kick out of her. I heard him laugh out loud for the first time in 6 months because of her."
The name Ella means "bright light". And her middle name is Grace. I thank God every day for my Ella Encourager! She is surely a bright light and full of grace in our family and to those around her.

1 comment:

Terri said...

She is so sweet! ...and it sounds like your b'day was a special day too!

I hope Avery is feeling better!